Write one similarity and one difference between the chemistry of lanthanoid and actinoid elements.
Similarities between lanthanides and actinides
- Both have a prominent oxidation state of +3.
- They are involved in the filling of (n-2) f orbitals.
- They are highly electropositive and very reactive in nature.
Differences between lanthanides and actinides
- Lanthanoids are involved in the filling of 4f- orbitals whereas actinoids are involved in the filling of 5f-orbitals.
- The binding energy of 4f electrons is comparatively less than that of 5f-electrons. The shielding effect of 5f-electrons is less effective as compared to that of 4f-electrons.
- The paramagnetic properties of lanthanoids can be easily explained but this explanation is difficult in the case of actinoids.