Describe the powers and functions of the Chair-person of the Rajya Sabha.
As a Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, the Vice-President of India performs the following functions —
1. He presides over the meetings of the Rajya Sabha.
2. He preserves order in the House. If the situation goes out of control he can adjourn or suspend the meeting of the Rajya Sabha.
3. He allows members to speak.
4. He is not allowed to vote. But in case of equality of votes he has a casting vote.
5. He maintains relevancy in debates and no member is allowed to use unparliamentary language.
6. He is the custodian of the dignity of the House and protects the privileges of the members of the Rajya Sabha.