Briefly describe the composition of the State Legislative Council.
The Members of the State Legislative Council are not elected directly by the citizens. They are elected in following ways:
1. One-third of the members are elected by the State Legislative Assembly. These persons are not to be the members of the State Legislative Assembly.
2. One-third of the members are elected by the local bodies namely Corporations, Municipalities, Zila Parishads, Panchayats, etc.
3. One-twelfth of the members are elected by the teachers of not lower than Higher Secondary Schools. Teachers who have three years of standing are entitled to vote in the elections.
4. One-twelfth of the members are elected by the university graduates of at least 3 years of standing.
5. One-sixth of the total members of the Council are nominated by the Governor. These persons have special aptitude and specialization in the fields of literature, fine arts, science and social service.